Sunday, August 21, 2011

'Double Dippin' at the Full Vineman...thoughts on IMCDA & VM

IMCDA 2011



The 2011 Full Vineman and Barb's Race events are officially in the books and as I look back at this year's events I can't help but smile.  This year was an incredible series of events that seemed to build on each other in so many motivating and inspiring ways....its almost too hard to describe.  But alas I'll make an attempt and share some stories as to just how special this years events were and how the Vineman events once again left their mark on so many triathletes hearts. 

As many of you know its been a long time...really long time....since I raced at the Vineman. 2002 to be exact - almost 10 years ago.  Next year - 2012 - will mark the 10th anniversary of a uniquely challenging event and series of circumstances in my life that challenged me as a person on every level one can be challenged. It stripped me raw, down to the core, and changed my life in many ways I'd never dreamed of. But - I'll get more into that later.......
 

First - this year! Hmmm - well in short I got excited, talked to my hubby, and than with eyes wide open - "jumped" on the band wagon and hit what we affectionately call "the idiot button" for Ironman Couer d'alene (IMCDA). Alas there were all the key ingredients I look for when choosing to do an Ironman - location, timing, finances, motivation, commitments - personal/family/work, training partners, am I willing to make the sacrifices needed this year, etc...these are the same things I outline and suggest athletes I work with to consider before signing up. Unlike the pro's ...most of us work, have families, and other commitments that don't permit us the flexiblity in time we'd love to have when training hard. So - it is wise to sit down, look at your commiments, check the calendar and bank account (entry fees are outrageous), than have "the talk" with your family.  Only than can you truly focus and enjoy the process of training and preparing for an iron-distance event.

Anyway, 2011 IMCDA....
WOW - crazy cool event! I will say to date that is THE COLDEST swim I've ever done. I've swam in 52-53 degree temps many times...but a whole lot different when its 2.4miles. WOW! All I can say is that I had an "ice cream head-ache" and what I thought was a broken finger on my way out of the swim to the bike. Alas....it was just the cold and by mile 40ish I did finally "thaw out". And really - despite the cold water and slightly slower 2 loop swim format from Canada - I was really happy. I seeded myself wisely, got on feet, stayed on them, and really controlled the effort. Did it take a lot more energy than normal? Well yes - it was 52 degrees after all....Onward....!

The bike went well for the most part. I actually was faced with some mechanical issues. Derauiller hanger got bent, shifting was crap and alas was stuck in my little chain ring for 90 out of 112 miles..but oh well...make lemonaide my frenz. It actually turned out to be a good thing on such a hilly bike course.  All was good, had a few stomach issues from the swim effort....but happily got off the bike to T2 and made a rookie mistake. Left my Garmin head on the bike! CRAPPP!!! My fast 2:30 T2 turned into almost 4minutes as I had to run back and beg the volunteer to let me into the bike corral to grab it. Geez...well...needless to say I won't make that mistake again.

On to the run....
At this point I sorta knew where I was in time. I was a little nervous having had a slower than normal swim/bike combo but...hey...I just put it out of my mind and focused on the task at hand - the marathon. I knew I was in the best run shape of my life right now and fortunately not injured like at IMCanada like last year...so it was time to relax, focus, and "get er' done".  That's the whole thing with Ironman - at some point you have to "plug in" and focus, focus, focus. I think looking back on this years experiences that this is one of the key ingredients that helped me be successful - and that ultimately led to back-to-back PR's at this distance - its the ability to focus, get down to work, and stay on task. Its very HARD to stay mentally focused and plugged in that long - its takes a tremendous amount of mental energy actually - BUT - if you can do it...than that's where the magic begins....:) 4:15 - a new marathon PB and PR at this distance. I was ELATED, on CLOUD 9, and just in shock! The day rolled out bumpy but I was able to move past the hurdles (jump over them actually) and take the beast by the horns so to speak. So ....why do the Full Vineman than???

Loni B on her way to a new PR!
Loop 2 at the Vineman...











FULL VINEMAN - 2011
Well - turns out I had quite a few people ask me that question actually...after all I had a great race at Coeur d'alene and nothing to prove...but...alas this was one of the motivating factors for me. Really - I felt no pressure, I was totally relaxed, and toyed around with the idea a bit. And though I signed up, I was playing it week by week to see how my body and my brain recovered before I finally made the decision to go for it.

Turns out I nailed my recovery....
Rested tons, felt healthy, all my home and work responsiblities were taken care of. I even got to go on a mini-vacation and got a big boost seeing my family at our re-union for my granmdparents 60th wedding anniversary.  In short, while I was still focused I was also very relaxed mentally. So as my body came around I found my short workouts kept getting better - and in fact - I felt great! So - it was go time - again...:)

I also had a bit of un-finished business. I had demons to meet head on - it was time to put them to bed once and for all. You see, as I mentioned before...next year will be the 10th anniversary of a very life altering series of bike crashes - one - very serious. In the hosptial for almost a week, wheel chair for 4months, physical therapy solid for almost a year and than in and out for another 1 1/2. Broken pelvis, collarbone, ribs, stitches, head-injuries, re-constructive surgery...and the list goes on.

It was a blessing that I don't really remember anything - anything except the pain of a doctor telling me I might never run again, the pain of not being able to sleep for months, of nightmares, missing my training, friends, and life...of broken hearts and relationships....and a broken spirit. It was a journey - but alas it made me the athlete and person I am today. No matter how bad things seem, how much a race "hurts, or what ever the pressure is....it pales in comparison to the realization that we are blessed each day to pursue our passions, loves, and the things that bring us joy. Alas, we are fortunate to be able to put one foot in front of the other....

So - when the going gets rough - I have to smile...because I am SO LUCKY my body and life allows me to do the things I love. There - I've made my peace - and was finally able to put my demons to bed....as my crash happened at the vineman. I did it you see - from "I will never get on my bike ever again, I will never do the Vineman again, too 8-ironmans (all post-crash), 2 new PB's...and a Vineman finishline"....I'm still in shock myself. But - its finally started sinking in...and my heart is full of joy....what demons??? Nothing but angels and blue skies for me :)

So there I was - on the start line for - for the first time in 9years...to complete a triathlon at the Vineman once again. Was I nervous - well, hell yeah - its an Ironman after all...and I was in "un-charted territory". I was about to cross the line of what my previously held boundaries were - in more ways than one. And ya know - I was happy, surrounded by friends, family, and my teammates - everyone who loves me and cares about me. I was pumped!!!! And than...the gun went off....and it was "go time"!

Home-town advantage....
I hugged Loni, Steve, my hubby Dave, Renata, and high-fived my homies...than jumped in the river to warm up.  And than ya know what - I had the best swim ever!@! I love the river! We swim in it every week and it WAS SO COOL to be racing in it....two loops...piece of cake. Totally wierd - Layne and I turned to breath and saw each other in the middle of the swim...how cool is it to recognize your homies with a 1000people in the water? I do have to say I can't figure out why people where standing at the end of the turn...but I guess for an athlete new to long course this is a great advantage. So, I was in & out...than on to the bike.

A bit slow in T2...but...it was cold and grabbed the arms warmers...plus it was SO COOL hearing people I knew cheer for me. But, I wanted to get out and on the road and relax....it was time to do our "home-town" ride. I've done this ride 100's of times....and now...I'd finally get to take a whack at it during the Vineman.
So - I just relaxed - took it easy and watched the reckless hammer the first 40miles of the bike. LOL! Well - one good thing about being in your home-town is you know the course! Definintely an advantage....I knew where all the aide stations were, when to be careful, where to slow-down, and where to stay aero. I also knew this was turning out to be one of the most "exceptional" weather days we'd had on record for the Full Vineman in quite some time. 

So got through lap 1...chilled actually...stomach was a bit off - so decided to slow down and chew on some salt tabs to let some fluid in my belly absorp from the swim. Really was a bit off but felt good by the time I hit Chalk Hill and the turn around.  Lap 2 - stomach finally settled and things wee feeling good - than WOW - tail wind on Dry Creek to Canyon!!! Rare that it happens but absolute MAGIC on race day. So cool!!! This was turning out to be a great ride. Had to enjoy the ride here though we did get the wind in our face from Geyserville to Chalk Hill. 

Anyway -  I was surround by people I knew and was having a great time on the ride.  Even the bike course marshall rolled by a few times and gave me a "hey jenny & thumbs up" a few times. Wow - home-town racing was fun!!! I did see quite a few people get drafting penalities - people - all you have to do is sit 3 bike lengths and you're 100% legal...pass when you need to pass...no big deal! Oh well - I just focused on me and doing my thing.  Saw Kyle on top of Chalk Hill and reported that I was feeling great and "on fuego".  Steve  & Kevin B were on the run, Kent Yinger and Danny Walters were crusin up Chalk Hill with me, and Layne who caught me at mile 40 of the bike was :20minutes up the road...Loni was doing well...and all the TTE girls doing Barbs were on the run course...so most of my buddies were having a great race. No negative thoughts entered my mind that day...I just remained at peace...and was looking forward to the run.

Rolled into the highschool and T2 and was elated! I made it off the bike in one piece and put my major concern behind me. I have to say Russ and the Vineman crew put together an amazing transition area - I LOVE the knew venue inside the Windsor High School quad. Beautiful, well-organized...got in...got out and off to the run course.

A challenging run course...with so many rolling hills I knew this would be a bit more challenging than IMCDA - this is also where I was really testing the waters. This is where I was going to find out if I REALLY had any legs left after my race at Coure d'alene. So - there I was - nervous, excited, elated.....I quickly realized rule #1 was going to have to be to "get plugged in asap" and to control my emotions. Otherwise I was going to run too hard and blow myself up!

Lap 1 was AMAZING - I was flying and felt GREAT! I took it out a little too quick but dialed it back right away and got down to business.  Started to execute my plan and get my brain locked into my world on the course for the next 4 hours.  I've run the course many times and knew all the twists, turns, hills, and corners to navigate. I had a plan and I was going to execute it - but - as in all races...things happen sometimes and Lap 2 is where the going got tough.  I was 10 miles in and as usual at Ironman - this is where the race begins for me - but I knew it and I was ready. Time to get down to business. Its sorta like mile 80 or 90 of the bike....you're tired, you've gone a long way, and you realize you still have quite a ways to go.

So much for "relaxing" and enjoying myself - well - when it gets down to it I am an "athlete at heart" and I just couldn't help myself....I wanted this thing - and I wanted it bad. I saw Kyle and Naomi with Layne in front of me - encouraging him - he was having a tough day...and others, struggling but "fighting the good fight", and all of a sudden I had the realization slap me in the face that I was living my dream. I was running, running the hills strong, tackling my demons, and I was having a great race at the Vineman.

I finished Lap 2 and the finishline area where my hubby Dave was working at the announcers booth - what a man! All I can say is I LOVE MY HUSBAND!! Wouldn't ya know it - he was playing my favorite music - Black Eyed Peas "BOOM, BOOM - POW"!!! He was giving me my splits over the loud speaker and I couldn't believe what I was hearing....I was at --- on the clock and on my way to another PB as I went into Lap 3 - if I could hold the pace. That's all I had to do....but I felt like hell. My stomach was starting to go - ya know - bad thing when there is no porta potty and you REALLY need one.

In retrospect I was having so much "fun" that I should have realized I was running into the aide stations faster than I planned and took on a bit too many calories and not enough clear water. So - after a much needed stop to clear the guts out at the start of lap 3 I ran to hang on. I was SO GRATEFUL to all my buddies out there - this is where the home-town advantage really paid off. I felt like I was going to vomit the whole 3rd lap - but as I told myself many times before - how is this any different than a sprint race? You push hard, til you feel like you are going to vomit...than hang on for dear life and pray - and that my friends is exactly what I did. That 3rd lap was a crusher!!!!

I have to thank the Coppingers, Julie Hadley, all my TTE Team mates, Kevin B, Naomi, Kyle, and all my empire running buddies - bless you!! Without your cheers, words of encouragement, and gentle push I don't know if I would have kept running that hard. But alas I did....and as I rolled to the finishline I saw Amy and heard my hubby and willed myself to run faster and grab the banner and say yeah "bi....ch" I did it!!!! Than I hugged Amy and cried my eyes out.....

So that's it ya'll....my story. I'm still shaking my head with dis-belief. But for all the nay-sayers, negative nellies, and skeptics - open your hearts, open your minds, and open your eyes to the possibilities around you. Dreams do come true and you can meet your match and climb over it to the top of the mountain.....

JL

No comments:

Post a Comment